Friday, September 21, 2012

Are We Born to Teach??? (Student Choice)

I hear many people say that they always knew they would be a teacher.  For me, that is not the case.  However, I have known for a long time that teaching was something I was able to do well.    As a teenager I spent summers teaching VBS at our home church and on mission trips.  I also taught gymnastics classes and babysat on a regular basis.  Adults would always tell me that I worked well with children and compliment my ability to relate to them during class, but I still never had this urging desire to teach.  After I graduated high school, I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do. So, my first major was business, but then after some encouragement from my parents I changed it to education my sophomore year.  I always earned good grades in my practicums and would hear from professors that I had a natural ability to teach.  However, I did not fall in love with teaching until  my first year in the classroom.  So here is a question....
Are good teachers born or made, or is it both?  I am not sure I know the answer to this question, or maybe there is no answer.  However, I really do think that my daughter Macie was born to teach!  I am posting a funny video that I created about two years ago when she was 5.  What you see in this video is something I have watched her do since she was about three.  You can see from all of her "supplies" that she is already a hoarder of teaching materials....that's scary!!   Even now at the age of 7, she teaches her imaginary students on a daily basis.  I never question what goes on in her classroom because she not only imitates her teachers but disciplines and rewards the same children in her imaginary class that are disciplined and rewards each day in her regular class :)  While I think Macie was born to teach, you will also see that she has learned some good strategies from many fabulous teachers she has had in daycare, preschool, and at Legacy.


3 comments:

  1. This is very cute. I think that we are all born to do great things and it just takes us a little time and a lot of different experiences to show us what that great thing is. I believe that you were born to be a teacher and that no teacher education program can make you into a teacher. They may give you the license to teach but not the ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daniel! I agree wholeheartedly with your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree :) and that youtube clip of your daughter...PRICELESS! How cute!

    ReplyDelete