Monday, November 19, 2012

Does Technology Help or Harm Literacy?

Here is a quote I really like about this topic...
“I’m not going to say it’s a good thing or a bad thing,” says Elizabeth Kleinfeld, assistant professor of English at Metropolitan State College of Denver. “But it’s a thing for sure, and we have to deal with it in our classrooms, in our workplaces and in our relationships.” 

I think Technology has definitely changed literacy, but not necessarily harmed it.  I know some people are concerned about the lack of grammatical skills students have because texting has its own language of abbreviated words and random uses of punctuation.  However, I have been bad at grammar and spelling my whole life, and have only been texting for less than three year :)  I do think that texting, email, chatting, etc has lead to an increase in the amount of writing done by people on a daily basis.  It isn't formal writing, but people on a daily basis probably read and write more than the generations before us because of new technology devices that make communication ready at our fingertips.  

While I don't think technology has harmed literacy, I am a little concerned about our necks...
    

No comments:

Post a Comment